Consultant Neonatologist, Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
Honorary Professor, Department of Medical Physics and Biomedical Engineering, University College London (UCL)
Cambridge Neuroscience webpage:
The research interests of my group fall into 3 main areas:
- Cerebrovascular physiology: we are interested in developing novel markers of autoregulation and exploring the relationship between cardiac function and cerebrovascular control in preterm infants.
- Brain function and behavior: neoLAB is an interdisciplinary collaboration between Cambridge and physicists at University College London. The aim of the group is to develop optical and EEG systems to understand brain function in both healthy and sick newborn infants and relate this to their behavioural state.
- Neonatal neurocritical care: I am interested in the challenges of applying best research to improve clinical care for infants with brain injury. This work has included developing an award winning regional service for neonatal neuroprotection in the East of England.
I have been working as a consultant neonatologist in Cambridge since 2008; during this time I have secured over £3M funding in grants and awards to develop the Evelyn Perinatal Imaging Centre, based at the Rose Hospital, which includes a dedicated infant functional brain imaging unit, and 1.5T MRI scanner. I have local active collaborations with the Department of Neurosurgery (Prof. Marek Czosnyka), Autism Research Centre (Prof Simon Baron-Cohen), Department of Psychiatry (Prof. John Suckling) and Department of Psychology (Dr. Vicky Leong) as well as collaborations with the Department of Medical Physics and Bioengineering at UCL (Prof Jem Hebden, Prof Clare Elwell), Birkbeck Centre for Brain and Cognitive Development (Prof Mark Johnson, Dr Sarah Lloyd-Fox), and Department of Neonatology, Copenhagen (Prof Greisen).
- British Academy/Leverhulme (with Birkbeck BabyLab, University of London), 2015-2016: TOUCH – Understanding the role social touch plays in cognitive development. £9.6k
- Rosetrees Trust (with Vicky Leong, Psychology), 2015-2016: Identifying neuro-genetic oscillatory biomarkers of dyslexia risk in neonates. £11k
- Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (with UCL-BORL, Birkbeck BabyLab, University of London), 2015-2017: BRIGHT – BRain Imaging and Global HealTh. £640k
- Addenbrooke’s Charitable Trust/Biomedical Research Centre Nurses, Midwives & Allied Healthcare Professional Research Training Fellowships, 2015-2016. £44k
- MRC Clinical Research Training Fellowship (Principal Supervisor), 2014: Behaviour and resting state activation in newborns. £130K.
- Sir Jules Thorne Charitable Trust (Principal Investigator), 2013, equipment award: Development of a neonatal neurocritical care service in Cambridge. £181K.
- SPARKS (Principal Investigator), 2013-2015: SAMBA – Study of Autoregulatory Monitoring in BAbies. £115K.
- Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (Co-Investigator, with UCL), 2012-2016: Fast optical tomography for imaging seizure detection in newborn infants. £887K.
- Evelyn Trust, 2013-2015: Evelyn Trust Research Fellowship in Perinatal Neuroscience. £164K.
- Evelyn Trust (Principal Investigator), 2012, capital award: Evelyn Trust Perinatal Imaging Centre. £315K.
- Action Medical Research (Principal Investigator), 2012-2014: Seizure detection in the newborn infant using integrated optical imaging and electroencephalography. £130K.
- Danish Council for Strategic Research, 2011-2015 (Consortium Partner): SafeBoosC – Safeguarding the brain of our smallest children. DK11.1M – UK award £26K.
- Health Foundation (Principal Investigator), 2010-2012: Neonatal neuroprotection in the East of England. £435K.
- Evelyn Trust (Principal Investigator), 2009-2012: Cerebral autoregulation in the newborn. £42K.
- da Costa CS, Czosnyka M, Mitra S, Smielewski P, Austin T. Monitoring of cerebrovascular reactivity allows determination of optimal blood pressure in preterm infants. J Pediatr. 2015 Apr 16. pii: S0022-3476(15)00342-X. doi: 10.1016/j.jpeds.2015.03.041. [Epub ahead of print]
- Hyttel-Sørensen S, Pellicer A, Aldrliesten T, Austin T, van Bel F, Benders M, Claris O, Dempsey EM, Franz AR, Fumagalli M, et al. Cerebral near infrared spectroscopy oximetry in extremely preterm infants: phase II randomised clinical trial. BMJ 2015;350:g7635 doi: 10.1136/bmj.g7635
- Singh H, Cooper RJ, Lee CW, Dempsey L, Edwards AD, Brigadoi S, Airantzis D, Everdell N, Michell A, Holder D, Hebden JC, T.Austin. Mapping cortical haemodynamics during neonatal seizures using diffuse optical tomography: a case study. Neuroimage Clin. 2014;5:256-65.
- Mitra S, Czosnyka M, Smielewski P, O’Reilly H, Brady K, Austin T. Heart rate passivity of cerebral tissue oxygenation as an indicator of cerebrovascular reactivity in preterm infants. Acta Paediatr. 2014;103(9):e374-82
- Chaudhary R, Farrer K, Broster S, McRitchie L, Austin T. Active Versus Passive Cooling During Neonatal Transport. Pediatrics 2013;132:841–846.
- Dassios T, Austin T. Respiratory function parameters in ventilated newborn infants undergoing whole body hypothermia. Acta Paediatr 2013:doi: 10.1111/apa.12476.
- Hyttel- Sørensen S, Austin T, van Bel F, Benders M, Claris O, Dempsey E, Fumagalli M, Greisen G, Grevstad B, Hagmann C, Hellström-Westas L, Lemmers P, Lindschou J, Naulaers G, van Oeveren W, Pellicer A, Pichler G, Roll C, Skoog M, Winkel P, Wolf M, Gluud C . A phase II randomized clinical trial on cerebral near-infrared spectroscopy plus a treatment guideline versus treatment as usual for extremely preterm infants during the first three days of life (SafeBoosC): study protocol for a randomized controlled trial. Trials 2013;14:120
- Pellicer A, Greisen G, Benders M, Claris O, Dempsey E, Fumagalli M, Gluud C, Hagmann C, Hellström-Westas L, Hyttel-Sorensen S, Lemmers P, Naulaers G, Pichler G, Roll C, van Bel F, van Oeveren W, Skoog M, Wolf M, Austin T .The SafeBoosC Phase II Randomised Clinical Trial: A Treatment Guideline for Targeted Near-Infrared-Derived Cerebral Tissue Oxygenation versus Standard Treatment in Extremely Preterm Infants. Neonatology 2013;104:171-178.
- Hyttel-Sørensen S, Austin T, van Bel F, Benders M, Claris O, Dempsey EM, Fumagalli M, Gluud C, Hagmann C, Hellström-Westas L, Lemmers P, Naulaers G, van Oeveren W, Pellicer A, Pichler G, Roll C, Støy LS, Wolf M, Greisen G. Clinical use of cerebral oximetry in extremely preterm infants is feasible. Dan Med J. 2013;60:A4533.
- Squier W, Austin T, Anslow P, Weller R. Infant subcortical cystic leucomalacia: a distinct pathological entity resulting from impaired fluid handling. Early Human Development 2011;87:421-6.
- Cooper RJ, Hebden JC, O’Reilly H, Mitra S, Michell A, Everdell NL, Gibson AP, Austin T. Transient haemodynamic events in neurologically compromised infants: A simultaneous EEG and diffuse optical imaging study. Neuroimage 2011;55:1610-6.
- Pichler G, Wolf M, Roll C, Weindling MA, Greisen G, Wardle SP, Zaramella P, Naulears G, Pellicer A, Austin T, Bartocci M, Urlesberger B. Recommendations to increase validity and comparability of peripheral measurements with near infrared spectroscopy in neonates. Neonatology 2008;94:320-2.
- Wong F, Leung T, Austin T, Wilkinson M, Meek JH, Wyatt JS, Walker A. Impaired autoregulation in preterm infants identified using spatially resolved spectroscopy. Pediatrics 2008;121:e604-e611.
- Austin T, Gibson AP, Branco G, Yusof RM, Arridge SR, Meek JH, Delpy DT, Wyatt JS, Hebden JC. Three dimensional optical imaging of blood volume and oxygenation in the preterm brain. Neuroimage 2006;31:1426-1433.
- Gibson AP, Austin T, Everdell NL, Hebden JC, Delpy DT, Schweiger M, Arridge SR, Meek JH, Wyatt JS. Whole-head optical tomography of neonatal evoked responses. Neuroimage 2006;30:521-528.
- Elwell CE, Henty JR, Leung TS, Austin T, Meek JS, Delpy DT, Wyatt JS. Regional measurement of CMRO2 in neonates undergoing intensive care using near infrared spectroscopy. Adv Exp Med & Biol 2005;566:407-10.
- Ibe OE, Austin T, Sullivan K, Fabanwo O, Disu E, Costello AM. A comparison of kangaroo mother care and conventional incubator care for thermal regulation of infants <2000g in Nigeria using continuous ambulatory temperature monitoring. Annals of Tropical Paediatrics 2004;24:245-251.
- Hebden JC, Gibson AP, Austin T, Yusof RM, Everdell NL, Delpy DT, Arridge SR, Meek JH, Wyatt JS. Imaging changes in blood volume and oxygenation in the newborn infant brain using three dimensional optical tomography. Physics in Medicine and Biology 2004;49, 1117-1130.
- Yusof RM, Hebden JC, Gibson AP, Everdell NL, Austin T, Meek JH, Arridge SR, Wyatt JS, Delpy DT. Validation of the use of homogeneous reference phantoms for optical tomography of the neonatal brain. Proc SPIE 2003;4955.
- Hebden JC, Gibson AP, Yusof RM, Everdell NL, Delpy DT, Hillman EMC, Arridge SR, Austin T, Meek JH, Wyatt JS. Three-dimensional optical tomography of the premature infant brain. Physics in Medicine and Biology 2002;47:4155-4166.
- Austin T, Bridges N, Markiewicz M, Abrahamson E. Severe neonatal polycythaemia complicating physiological third stage of labour underwater. The Lancet 1997; 350:1445.
Commentaries & Review Articles
- O’Hare SS, Austin T. Protecting the brain of term infants; from bench to bedside. Pediatrics and Child Health. 2014;24:390-8.
- Austin T, O’Hare SS. Neurocritical care for hypoxic-ischaemic encephalopathy: cooling and beyond. Infant 2013;9:1-4
- Austin T, Shanmugalingam S, Clarke P. To cool or not to cool? Hypothermia treatment outside trial criteria. Archives of Diseases in Childhood. 2012;doi:10.1136/archdischild-2012-302069.
- Arthurs A, Edwards AD, Austin T, Graves MJ, Lomas DJ. The challenges of neonatal magnetic resonance imaging. Pediatr Radiol. 2012;42:1183-94.
- Austin T, Mitra S. Optical imaging of the neonatal brain European Paediatrics 2011;5:13-18.
- Dyson C, Austin T, Lees C. NICE, cardiotocography and long term cognitive impairment. BMJ 2011;31:342.
- Austin T, O’Reilly H. Advances in imaging the neonatal brain. Expert Opinion in Medical Diagnostics 2011;5:95-107.
- Austin T, Copper RJ. Combining EEG and diffuse optical imaging: a new approach to monitoring neonatal seizures? Advances in Clinical Neurosciences and Rehabilitation 2010;10:42-44.
- Austin T. Optical imaging of the neonatal brain – leading article. Archives of Diseases in Childhood 2007;92:F238-F241.
- Hebden JC, Austin T. Optical tomography of the neonatal brain – review. European Radiology 2007;17:2926-33.