PhD in Medical Physics and Biomedical Engineering, UCL. I split my time between London and Cambridge working on our collaborative FOTON project, where we scan brain function in sick infants using time-resolved diffuse optical imaging.
Medical device design for the clinical environment, especially portable optical systems such as DOI and EEG. Particularly interested in using imaging tools to investigate neuroscience, both from basic research and clinically applied perspectives. Also (on the side) investigating the history of medicine from a botanical perspective.
PhD, Medical Physics and Biomedical Engineering, UCL (2014-2018)
MPhil Clinical Neurosciences, Churchill College, University of Cambridge (2012-2013)
BS Bioengineering, University of Pittsburgh (2007-2012)
BA Studio Art, University of Pittsburgh (2007-2012)
UCL Dean’s Research Prize (2014-2018)
Whitaker International Fellow (2012-2013)
Cambridge Overseas Trust (2012-2013)
- L.A. Dempsey, M. Persad, D. Chitnis, S. Powell, J.C. Hebden, Geometrically complex 3Dprinted phantoms for diffuse optical imaging. Biomedical Optics Express, 8(3), 2017.
- D. Chitnis, R.J. Cooper, L.A. Dempsey, S. Powell, S. Quaggia, D. Highton, C. Elwell, J.C. Hebden, N.L. Everdell. Functional imaging of the human brain using a modular, fibre-less, high-density diffuse optical tomography system. Biomedical Optics Express, Vol. 7 (10), 2016.
- M. Chalia, C. Lee, L.A. Dempsey, A.D. Edwards, H. Singh, A.W. Michell, N.L. Everdell, R.W. Hill, J.C. Hebden, T. Austin, R.J. Cooper. Hemodynamic response to burst-suppressed and discontinuous electroencephalography activity in infants with hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy. Neurophotonics, 3(3), 031408, 2016.
- S. Brigadoi, S. Powell, R. J. Cooper, L.A. Dempsey, S. R. Arridge, N. Everdell, J. C. Hebden, A. P. Gibson. Evaluating real-time image reconstruction in diffuse optical tomography using physiologically realistic test data. Biomedical Optics Express, Vol. 6 (12), 2015.
- L.A. Dempsey, R. J. Cooper, T. Roque, T. Correia, E. Magee, S. Powell, A. P. Gibson, J. C. Hebden. A data-driven approach to optimum wavelength selection for diffuse optical imaging. Journal of Biomedical Optics Vol. 20 (1), 2015.
- H. Singh, R.J. Cooper, C. Lee, L.A. Dempsey, A. Edwards, S. Brigadoi, D. Airantzis, N. Everdell, A. Michell, D. Holder, J.C. Hebden, T. Austin. Mapping cortical haemodynamics during neonatal seizures using diffuse optical tomography: A case study. NeuroImage: Clinical 5, 2014.